mardi 16 juin 2009

Preparing my birthday... Angel food cake







I prepared a beautiful (and good) cake for my 27th anniversary and gave it a victorian look, one of my favorite period of history. I don't have any cake mold so I decided to use a tart mold,  a cooking pot and a coffee cup to make a beautiful three tier cake.

ANGEL  CAKE

2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups of flour
2 cups of white eggs ( it was 15 eggs for me)
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar or a little lemon juice
vanilla

Sift 1/2 cup of sugar and flour togheter 4 times. Beat egg whites, cream of tartare until firm. I had to do it by hand, that was some sport! Add the remaining sugar a little at the time beating it in. Add the vanilla. Add the flour sifting a little at the time to the eggs and sugar mixing. Put it on a large ungreased mold in a moderate oven (350°f) 45 to 60 minutes.  Remove from the oven and invert the mold, wait an hour before  taking the cake out of the mold.

As a topping, I made a salty caramel.

Appox. 125g of salted butter
Approx. 50 cl of cream
Approx three cups of brown sugar ( vergeoise)

Heat the butter, add the sugar and stir until completely melt,then add the cream and keep on stiring until you get a nice caramel, not too thick or you won't be able to spread on the cake. If it is too thick you can add water. The caramel is easy to keep, store it in a box and reheat it when you need.





Aucun commentaire: